of the Center for Children's Books
|The Bulletin Dozen is a monthly theme-based booklist
available as an online-only Bulletin feature. Since we're awfully
fond of bakers here at the Bulletin, we thought we'd adopt their
philosophy of generosity and throw in an extra one or two when we have them
to offer--so don't expect an even dozen. Please feel free to copy, download,
or link to these lists. We ask only that you cite the source. See the archive for lists from previous months.
Can You Bear It?: An Ursine Dozen
--selected by Debra Mitts-Smith
Now that winter has receded and spring asserted itself, animals who have
slept all winter long have awakened. In a tribute to one the largest of
the hibernating beasts, this month's dozens looks at picture books featuring
bears. Most are big, but a few are small. Some are brown, others are white.
And almost all like blueberries: off the bush, on their pancakes or in
muffins. A few of the bears on our list are friends and companions to
humans. Others are involved in more problematic encounters between the
two species. Either as readalouds or readalones, the books on this list
offers bear fans a good mix of recent and classic works from which to
- Aylesworth, Jim ad. Goldilocks and the Three Bears; illus. by
Barbara McClintock. Scholastic, 2003. 4-6 yrs
One day while the three bears are out taking their morning constitutional,
a girl with golden locks enters their house. (BCCB 12/03)
- Brett, Jan. Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?; written and
illus. by Jan Brett. Putnam, 2002. 5-7 yrs
A boy and his ice bear help a girl and her father rid their house of pesky
trolls. (BCCB 10/02)
- Briggs, Raymond. The Bear; written and illus. by Raymond Briggs.
Random, 1994. 5-8 yrs
Tilly's house guest is a big, white bear who's cuddly but somewhat lacking
in manners. (BCCB 3/95)
- Dyer, Jane. Little Brown Bear Won't Go to School; written and
illus. by Jane Dyer. Little, 2002. 4-6 yrs
Little Brown Bear thinks that having a job is better than going to school.
- Martin, Bill Jr. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?; illus.
by Eric Carle. Henry Holt, 1983. K- Gr. 2
From Brown Bear to the children in a classroom, animals tell who they see
looking at them. (BCCB 2/84)
- McCloskey, Robert. Blueberries for Sal; written and illus. by
Robert McCloskey. Viking, 1948. K- Gr. 2
Whether you are a bear and her cub or a mother and her daughter, it's a good
day to go blueberry picking on Blueberry Hill. (BCCB 11/48)
- McPhail, David. Big Bear's Up and Down Day; written and illus.
by David McPhail. Harcourt, 2003. Gr. 2-3
Rat thinks that Big Brown Bear's slipper is the perfect bed for Rat, but Big
Brown Bear disagrees. (BCCB 10/03)
- Minarik, Else Holmelund. Little Bear; illus. by Maurice Sendak.
Harper & Row, 1957. Gr. 1-2
Little Bear plays in the snow, cooks Birthday Soup, jumps to the moon, and
wishes to hear a story. (BCCB 12/57)
- Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds. Please Do Feed the Bears; illus. by
Ana Lopez Escriva. Atheneum, 2002. 3-6 yrs
The only way Percy's stuffed bears can accompany his family to the beach is
if he leaves something else behind. So Percy empties the cooler. (BCCB 10/02)
- Ordal, Stina Langlo. Princess Aasta; written and illus. by Stina
Langlo Ordal. Bloomsbury, 1999. 3-5 yrs
"Little Princess seeking big, cuddly bear friend." (BCCB 1/03)
- Pinkwater, Daniel. Irving and Muktuk: Two Bad Bears; illus. by
Jill Pinkwater. Houghton Mifflin, 2001. Gr. 2-4
Yellowtooth's annual Blueberry Muffin Festival is threatened by Irving and
Muktuk, two polar bears with a hankering for blueberry muffins. (BCCB 11/01)
- Root, Phyllis. Oliver Finds His Way; illus. by Christopher Denise.
Candlewick, 2002. 2-4 yrs
After following a yellow leaf down the hill, around a bush, under a tree,
and all the way to the edge of the forest, Oliver is lost. (BCCB 12/02)
- Waddell, Martin. Snow Bears; illus. by Sarah Fox-Davies. Candlewick,
2003. 2-5 yrs
When Mommy Bear goes outside to play with her three baby bears, she finds
three snow bears have taken their place. (BCCB 2/03)
[Back to the Bulletin Homepage]
This page was last updated on May 1, 2004.